About Me

My photo
Discipling Ministry called Impact 195 has transformed my thinking about service to God, dying to self, and the implications of a life lived for God's will and not my own.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The likeness of a foreigner...

After a quick start here, I got slammed to the ground with a bout of stomach flu for 24 hours.  Picture Jesus and the lukewarm Laodiceans.  The rest and sleep gave me a chance to reflect on some feelings about coming here.

I am homesick.   I want to go home now, already!  Familiarity of language, food, location, customs, and comrades, I have a longing.  Don't get me wrong, my friends are treating me well and helping me to get acclimated.  Going from a mild to cold climate,  independence to dependence, meat to vegetables, is a shock to my system.

I have a nice bed, warm dwelling, plenty of food, computer, and reliable bus transportation.  I am still considered the wealthiest of this planet.  Why am I longing for something more?

Is it okay to feel this way?  What is home?  Where is home?

A little reflection led me to wonder, "did Jesus ever get homesick?"
The King of Glory, to helpless babe, did He miss some perks?  I am not sure if He did or not, but I recalled Philippians 2 where it mentions Christ's attitude more than anything else.

Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 


Wow!  I then remember the words commitment, diligence, grace, humility, and perseverance.

I found myself in the likeness of a foreigner the other day.  While having a shrimp/cabbage meal (not something I have ever had), I was instructed to rip the head and tail off and pull the shell off before eating.  As I ripped one head off, I squirted cabbage juice into the eye of the principal of the school.  She was very gracious, but I was very embarrassed.   I was surprised at how long she wiped at her face.

I generate lots of looks being a tall, bald, white guy.  In my own culture, this might make me angry, but here I take it as opportunity to smile.  This is about the only way I can share God's love right now, not knowing any Mandarin.

As Amber replies to her Mom every morning via text, "a vapor",  and her Mom, "a mist".  No matter what is going on, I think I can make it a little longer remembering this life is but a vapor and a mist, and that my real home is citizenship in Heaven.  Lord, help me complete my purpose and mission here in this foreign land.

1 comment:

  1. Mikey....push through...the reward is sweet and eternal...the price is temporary. Love to you dear friend

    ReplyDelete