About Me

My photo
Discipling Ministry called Impact 195 has transformed my thinking about service to God, dying to self, and the implications of a life lived for God's will and not my own.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unfinished Ending...

After returning from my first trip to Haiti, there seemed to be an air of unfinished business to what we had experienced.  Ali Kaun shared a story from Luke 8:26 about the demon possessed man who wanted to stay at Jesus feet, but Jesus sent him to proclaim what had happened.  Does that seem weird?  Jesus sending someone away, that wanted to follow him.  What happened after that?  She gave an assignment to share 14 "verses" of unfinished business from Haiti.

Here is what I wrote:

1 While the Do Something celebration transpired, a street kid attached himself to my side and followed me wherever I went.  2   He clutched my hand while we walked, and hugged my neck when I picked him up.  He continually smoothed my arm airs between his fingers in a relaxing perpetual motion.  3  This boy asked for water, and I had none, and asked for food, I had none of that either.  He still followed with a big smile content for the affection and love that I willingly gave him.  4  I carried him through the event with his head on my shoulder and my arms around his back squeezing intermittently.  5  A young man approached me with an urgent request for food.  6  I had none to give.  I told him that what he needed was food from heaven and Living Water.  7  He repeated a familiar refrain – “Give me a Bib.”  8  I went to the back stage where a mob-like scene had developed with many Haitians clamoring for Bibles.  We had run out of Creole Bibles.  9  I came back to the young man, who looked defeated as I returned with no Bible.  10  I looked deep into his eyes and told him that I loved him, and that Jesus loved him.  11  I implored him to ask God to send his Holy Bible to him.  I promised that God would surely get a Bible to him someway if he prayed for one.  12 The young man’s countenance changed and he leaned in to give me a hug.  In broken Creole he told me, “Compliments to you for loving me.”  I pointed to the sky to the true source of Love and Life.  13  Chaos started to ensue at the Celebration Event, and our leaders gave direction to head for the truck for a fast departure.  14  I set the young boy down, gave him a hug, and the young man a hug and climbed into the truck.  As we departed with the last vision of two Haitians with outstretched arms, I wondered would they get water or food anytime soon, and would Jesus honor his plea for a Bib?

Matt 6:32b-33
For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you

No comments:

Post a Comment