About Me

My photo
Discipling Ministry called Impact 195 has transformed my thinking about service to God, dying to self, and the implications of a life lived for God's will and not my own.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Becoming like a little child

Mark 10:13 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him.
 14 When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” 16 Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.

I will admit that I always thought these verses were cute, but didn't really understand them.  As a single guy, I have missed out on what you parents probably have easily grasped and understood.  I have only been here for about a month and about 8 of those days working.  However, the last two days really stand out illuminating the reference above.  


I have between 5 and 12 preschoolers on any given day.  Since it is still close to Chinese New Year, there have been only 6 the last couple of days.  This has given me a chance to really get up close and personal and really play with each child, for at least a few minutes.


Each day these 3-5 year olds come into class and trust me to help them with their coats and clothing.  They expect me to feed  them, help them in the restroom, entertain them, and keep them safe.  They sleep/nap in safety, and follow me outdoors and in the hallways wherever I go.  They ask freely, share their emotions freely, and forgive and forget readily.  They are curious, love to explore, and feel free to tug on your face, jump on your torso, pull on your cheeks, and stare into your eyes as you hold them for long moments.  They are cared for lovingly and tenderly.  


And I get to just watch, listen, participate in their world, and just love on them for being there.  I get to tuck them in for naps and watch them sleep in comfort.  I get to rub noses, comb hair, pat backs, and warm their hands.  


There are moments I direct and guide, redirect, and even physically move them to safer and better situations.  I get to teach, hold, and provide.


The small whispers, shrieks of joy, little giggles, and loud screams are all different but recognizable and distinguishable in the busy room of activity.


How many times does God call us His children, His little children, and His child?  Innumerable, at least without the help of some Biblical software.  Let me just say - a lot!


He leads me.  He guides me.  He provides for me in abundance.  He wants the best for me, and even disciplines me to help me grow.  He lets me explore.  He wants me to enjoy His presence.  He sacrifices Himself for me.  He prepares a place, a banquet and a feast for me.  He watches over me when I sleep.  He looks forward to the next time I engage Him.


Does this sound like a Father?  Yeah..it sounds like my Heavenly Father.  It sounds like my Daddy.  That phrase during prayers usually annoys me...but, today, I like it just a little bit more than I used to.


PS.  Meet 3 more of my little kiddos.



1 John 3:1a

New King James Version (NKJV)
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!






No comments:

Post a Comment